web 2.0

Friday, January 1, 2010

"On Behalf of a Grateful Nation"


Yesterday I had the privilege of attending the military graveside funeral for a brother of one of our church members. This dear man had been taken by cancer, and his wife and siblings were grieving his departure. The color guard presented a 21-gun salute, played taps, and presented the American flag to the wife of the deceased soldier. My heart goes out to the family in the loss of their loved one.

It is always particularly moving to witness a military ceremony, as men pay tribute to a comrade who has gone on before them. I could not help but go back in my mind about 15 years to when I attended my Papaw's (as we affectionately called my mom's dad) funeral. He had served in the army during World War II, and he had also been taken by cancer. I can remember clearly, as I sat under the tent that day, the emotion as the soldiers folded the flag, went to my Mamaw, bent over towards her, held out the flag and said, "This flag is presented on behalf of a grateful nation and the United States Army as a token of appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service." What a moving thought! "On Behalf of a Grateful Nation."

The patriot in me swells every time I see or hear a tribute to an American soldier. Tears come to my eyes many times as I sing the National Anthem. Tears are gathering in my eyes even now as I am thinking about it. This nation of ours is a blessing from God. It has truly been paid for by the sacrifice of men and women throughout our brief history.

As our freedoms are slowly taken away, I wonder if we are not considering the men who have given of themselves to secure and protect our freedoms. I wonder if we are counting as nothing their great acts of bravery, their willing separation from family, and their constant encounter with danger. I thank the Lord for our military!

But beyond a gratitude for our military, I have a great gratitude and love for my Savior, Jesus Christ. When we speak of sacrifice and giving one's life, there is no greater example in all the world than Jesus. He came to earth and gave Himself as the sinless sacrifice to pay for my sins. I accepted that gift as a young boy, and I enjoy today the joy of forgiveness of sins and a close walk with my Lord. He offers that free gift to anyone who will simply trust Him for it.

I am grateful for the service our men render for our country. Thank you, soldiers, for your service! Thank you, Lord, for my country!

But most of all, thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment